FC Wichita Defeats KC Courage In friendly

The FC Wichita women continued their winning ways on Saturday afternoon with a straight forward 3-0 win over the KC Courage in a friendly.

The KC Courage came out strong and attacked FC Wichita’s tired legs after Friday’s 8-0 win over OKC FC. The Courage dominated possession early and had numerous counter attacks that threatened FC Wichita’s defense, but the back line kept the clean sheet going.

“We are looking good, we are strong, and sturdy,” goalie Jami Reichenberger said.

KC Courage played a high back line that FC Wichita has not seen this year and continually frustrated Katie McClure at the beginning of the game with numerous opportunities flagged offside.

It wasn’t until Ashley Zane who would keep the ball and get a one on one chance in the 24th minute, but the Courage goalie would keep the game scoreless.

After a great counter by FC Wichita, the resulting corner would put the Reds’ on the board. Darci Nightingale would find the end of a Katie Cramer cross to put Wichita up 1-0 in the 29th minute.

With a back and forth match leading into halftime, Katie McClure would find the ball at her feet and make a run outside the top of the box and get dragged down by the Courage defender to lead to a free kick. McClure raised her hand, and the team stepped aside. McClure would run up and strike a rocket that was to the left of the wall and into the back of the goal past the outstretched Courage goalkeeper to put Wichita up 2-0 heading into the half.

Coming out of the half, the Courage looked the fresher of the two teams which led to some dangerous chances that Reichenberger would have to save. Reichenberger would come up huge for FC Wichita to continue her clean sheet streak to three matches and counting.

FC Wichita would find the back of the net after an incredible run down the flank from Sarah Henderson in the 76th minute. Henderson would cut inside the box leading the Courage defender’s slide tackle to find her feet and no ball resulting in a penalty kick for Wichita. Henderson would step up to the spot and bury the ball to the right of the keeper and put Wichita up 3-0.

As the final whistle sounded FC Wichita would hold on to a 3-0 win over the KC Courage, next up for the women is the Texas Spurs on June 3rd. Wichita won the previous match 4-0 at home against the Spurs.