FC Wichita ends season with loss to Fortuna

After a couple rough outings for the ladies in blue, FC Wichita was ready for a comeback game. With a full bench and a packed Trinity Stadium, this game had all the ingredients for a season finale. That result did not hold true as Fortuna Tulsa came out on top 1-0.

The first ten minutes were controlled by Fortuna, getting four shots up and a corner kick opportunity as well. FC Wichita was looking for answers in the midfield early.

FC Wichita finally got a corner chance in the 11th minute, their first real offensive chance thus far. They couldn’t convert but kept their foot on the gas pedal, getting two more corner kick chances just minutes later.

While the game remained scoreless, FC Wichita carried most of the momentum into the following minutes, getting a couple more shots on net as well as a couple more corner kicks. Despite many good chances, the game remained scoreless.

In the 26th minute, Fortuna had two great chances, the first impossibly saved by goalkeeper Jami Reichenberger. The second shot went off the right goal post and out of play.

FC Wichita quickly flipped the field, getting a ball down inside to Katie Cramer, who made a fantastic turn but mishit the shot, sending it over the net. Minutes later, Brooklyn Entz received a ball deep in the zone, found some open space but her shot was met by a defender’s leg.

Each team had one more opportunity a piece in the half, but both shots were off the mark to keep the game scoreless at halftime.

In the first five minutes of the half, Fortuna had two corner kick chances but could not convert on either. In the 52nd minute, FC Wichita returned the offensive attacks with two of their own, but both halted to a stop as Tulsa forced turnovers in the box.

In the next 10 minutes, Reichenberger found four saves to keep Fortuna off the board.

In the 61st minute, Fortuna found the back of the net following a good cross and an even better header by Jordan Langebartels.

The next ten minutes were controlled by FC Wichita, who had seven separate opportunities and two corners as well, but continued to lose possession in the box.

Now entering the 70th minute, both teams knew the end was close but the game was not over. Fortuna played a much more possession based game, possessing the ball for about 80 percent of the last 20 minutes.

In the 84th minute, FC Wichita had a free kick about 40 yards out. The initial kick was good but the final touch in the box was by a Fortuna defender, ending the chance.

As the 90th minute drew on, Wichita formed one last attack, but were once again stopped by the Fortuna defensive line.

“Today is very disappointing, we would have love to have won with a great crowd here at home.” said Head Coach Sammy Lane.

The 0-1 loss dropped FC Wichita to 4-4-1 for 13 points in the conference. The win elevated Fortuna Tulsa to 4-2-4 for 16 points. Fortuna now own the all time series 2-0-0. FC Wichita dropped to 3-1-0 at home this season with the loss.

Regardless of the result Saturday, the season was a success in the eyes of coaches and players alike.

“Honestly, this was such a great opportunity,” said Rachel VanBuskirk. “It’s just been such an honor to play with these girls.”

Lane was optimistic on the future of Women’s soccer here in Wichita.

“Having young players like [Nayeli Gallo] join the team is what this is all about,” said Lane. “That why we do what we do here.”