FC Wichita Tops Oklahoma City FC 8-0

Six different players found the scoring column as FC Wichita led from coast-to-coast in an 8-0 victory over Oklahoma City FC on Friday night.

“I’m glad we finished early, that was the big difference,” assistant coach Aaron Avila said.

It was a beautiful Friday night at Stryker Soccer Complex as Wichita scored early and often. They did not look back as they commanded the game for all 90 minutes.

FC Wichita improved to 2-1 on the season and in the Southwest-North division.

In the 5th minute, Ashley Zane got the scoring blitz started with a tap in after OKC FC’s goalie was forced to parry the ball away from a Katie McClure shot. The parry would fall right onto the foot of Zane who buried it with ease.

Shortly after Zane’s goal, McClure would get her night started with her third goal in the past two matches. “That’s my job to score goals,” McClure said about her recent hot streak. McClure beat the defender down the line and then put a rocket in the back of the net, putting Wichita up 2-0 after 10 minutes.

In exactly five minutes after the goal, Tanna Benefiel put one in the back of the net off a McClure corner. Benefiel would out jump her defender and put the ball directly over the top of the keeper to make it 3-0 after 15 minutes.

The five-minute interval for goals would end but the goals kept on coming, this time from Peyton Vincze in the 25th minute, who slotted it after a beautiful through ball from the midfield to beat the defender. “I was just trying to go for goal, trying to get my first goal…and I got it,” Vincze said after her first FC Wichita goal. No more goals would come in the first half, with Wichita leading 4-0 at the break.

Just after the second half commenced, Jazelle Gonzalez would bury a rocket from just inside the 18-yard line to put Wichita up 5-0. The goals would keep coming with no break as under 3 minutes after Gonzalez’s goal, after some confusion from OKC’s defense led to a failed clearance that fell to Ally Henderson in her first match with FC Wichita who’d bury the ball in the netting to put Wichita up 6-0.

Under 10 minutes after Henderson’s debut goal, the goal scoring machine named Katie McClure would find her second of the game. After a through ball, McClure would tip toe around the keeper and put the ball in the back of the open net.

“It just turned out to be a wonderful game,” McClure said.

Wichita would not let up as Sarah Henderson would put one of her own in the net on a beautiful header off a Vincze cross. As the final whistle sounded, the scoreboard would read 8-0 in Wichita’s favor, dominating in all aspects of the match.

While the offense was the headline, Jami Reichenberger was a wall in goal tonight stopping multiple counters that Oklahoma City produced. She wanted the clean sheet as in the late moments of the game; the FC Wichita defense got whistled for a handball in the box, which led to an OKC penalty kick. Jami was unfazed as she read the PK straight off the foot and dove to her right to make a routine save and continue her clean sheet streak.

FC Wichita has little rest as they are back in action against the KC Courage at 4:00 p.m. in the doubleheader of soccer with the men following against Ozarks FC. For $15 fans can watch both games on Saturday. Tickets can be purchased online at fcwichita.com or fcwichitawomen.com or the box office an hour before kickoff.

One comment

  1. These women got it going on! Fun to watch this extremely talented bunch!
    Come on Wichita…come out and support FCWichita soccer!

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published.